For years, I have been banging the drum to try to get the USPTO to better broadcast news items via email and RSS. In the 21st century, we have come to expect relevant news to be delivered to us via RSS or email rather than having to search/watch for it.
In another step forward, the USPTO has finally made available a series of email channels for free subscription. And at the USPTO Subscription Center, one can now subscribe to USPTO email announcements for any of the following:
- USPTO Press Releases: Announcements of USPTO initiatives, programs and policies—the same announcements that are provided to the media.
- USPTO Director’s Forum Blog: A weekly interactive blog by USPTO Director David Kappos discussing the latest topics of interest to the USPTO and the intellectual property community.
- USPTO Monthly Activity Reports: A monthly at-a-glance summary of new initiatives, events and significant media coverage during the previous month.
- Inventor's Eye: Inventor's Eye is for and about America’s independent and small entity inventor community. Inventor's Eye comes out every other month.
- Patents Alerts: Receive news, featured stories, event announcements, and tips for using Patents EFS-Web, e-Office Action, PDX and other e-commerce initiatives.
- Trademarks Alerts: Receive updates and announcements on upcoming Trademark system changes, events and roundtables, rules changes, and other Trademarks Operation matters.
Of course, if you are not yet subscribed, you may have missed this news, and the USPTO's timing of this announcement for the week of Christmas did not help; so I wanted to spread the word a bit more with this post (sorry I've been so busy the past few months, which has kept me from blogging). And I hope they also soon offer all of these feeds for RSS subscription, though I have seen no word on that yet, except for the feed for the Director's blog.
Also check out the USPTO on Twitter and Facebook. Staying on top of USPTO initiatives and rule changes is one of the best ways to maximize one's prospects for obtaining an allowance. These new tools make it easier than ever to do so.
Here is the announcement regarding these feeds from the Director's blog.